Sunday, November 18, 2007

Words words words

Ok I read an interview with Colin Meloy, front man for the amazing band The Decemberists, and in the interview he used so many words that I didn't know. I decided then and there it was time to expand my vocabulary, or as Miss Judy Hart always harkened "Elevate your diction". I love that saying so much. It sounds like it should live in a fortune cookie. So I set about improving my vocabulary the only way I know how, a vocab list. :)

Week 1 Personal Vocabulary List:
  • Ambrosia
  • Peripheral (I know this word but i don't use it enough so its on the list)
  • Cadence (Same as above I love this word)
  • Anathema
  • Disparate
  • Dalliance / Dalliant
  • Ecclesiastical (Ek lez ee ass tickle) hahah ass tickle. I think i should write pronunciations for the dictionary
  • Imprecate / Imprecation
  • Execrate / Execration
  • Phenom
  • Anachronism / Anachronistic
  • Cherub <-- this is me I love it. "A person, esp a child, with a sweet chubby innocent face."

Sure some might say its not how big it is its how you use it, but they weren't talking about your vocabulary. Bigger is better and mine will increase in size. I wonder if they sell pills that do this? Probably not or I would have known by an enormous amount of emails from random people about how they wish their boyfriend had a voracious vivacity for the vernacular. Oh well.

Cheers,

Tyler

P.s. I liked today's post. It felt like it could be a witty article in some magazine somewhere.

No comments: