Saturday, November 17, 2007

My Top 5 Concerts of all time ever for real shuttlecock

Ok as I went over the music I've listened to for the past few days it made me think back to all the concerts I've gone to. Amazing fun. However I like lists, rankings and ratings(usually on a 1-10 scale), so I've decided to rank the top 5 concerts attended each will have a brief description to ensure you understand why they were chosen. And of course I'll start at the bottom because if you start at 1 you aren't building to anything.



#5. The Queers

I have seen these guys in concert four times. They put on a great show and everytime I go there is SOOO much energy its not even funny. I however have never owned one of thier cd's nor know any of thier songs. I'm Hawaii Five oh so weirdo. Oh well. I did buy a sweatshirt that said The Queers. It was a hoodie and my favorite except for my Cincinnati Swim Team hoodie. But school didn't like it and made me turn it inside out at every turn. Teenage oppression at its finest.

#4. Dashboard Confessional & Saves The Day

Being a hopless romantic I think it goes without saying I'm a closet emo boy. I loved both of these bands and they were playing together...yeah I gotta be there for this. Two cool things about this show made it memorable. First I was standing right next to the guys who yelled that Dashboard Sucked and needed to quite whining and get off stage. This must happen alot because he has some very witty retorts. I don't know what he said but I will say what I would have said, "Sucks to be you, you paid for this concert and now I have your monies, go away plebian." Haha his was better probably but I don't remember. The second really cool thing was for pretty much every song he had a chorus of girls singing his lyrics. It was kinda of spooky. I mean at most shows people know the lyrics and some sing along. But I swear EVERY girl and some of the boys, me included, were singing along. It was one of the most powerful things I have ever experienced and I hope one day I have a room full of cute girls singing songs I wrote back to me. He was cool about it he would randomly stop singing and it was just them and he would smile, shake his head maybe giggle. Thats sooo how I would react.


#3. Aquabats, Planet Smashers & Pirate Lady With a Keyboard

I don't remember the band name of the pirate lady who opened this show but
she was pretty good. The planet smashers did an amazing job of making thier
segment fun and interactive even if you have never seen them. They would
have us do things like all sit down or whatever and even taught us
catchy chorus's to their songs so we could all sing along. Fun band who
I love now. And of course Aquabats, good good good band. I love them. I
went to this show with Natalie and her sister Emily. It was super rad
because I was at the show with the cutest girl there. Always makes you
feel good. I think we got a picture with the drummer from Aquabats and I
have it somewhere. I was very sweaty because there were 1 million people
in Topcats which is small. I love small venues with millions of people.
I like to feel the heat. I like when it doesn't matter to anyone if you
are sweaty and bump into eachother. Its about the music and thats
all that matters. We will squish eachother trying to get closer to it and maybe
feel it more completely.


#2. They Might Be Giants & Gregory Douglass

My friend Mike and I drove to chicago to see this band. I drove. It was four hours and by the end my hands were numb and I thought I was having a heart attack. I didn't. We walked all around Chicago before the concert and my feet were dead. The concert was in this open air seated thing and Gregory Douglass opened. That indvidual performance had dual guitarists and they did amazing things that blew my mind and it may have been the single most amazing performanc eby a band ever. But his cd was not like that at all, still really really good but not best ever. So he gets number 2. TMBG came out and told everyone to get out of thier seats and run down to the stage. We did and it rocked. Soooo amazing they are. All the classics and I was in love. I bought two cd's and a t-shirt. I rarely spend money at concerts so it was big.



#1. The Decemberists & My Brightest Diamond


This show was a birthday gift from Mike. I went with him and his then fiance, now wife, Courtney. It was amazing. My Brightest Diamond opened and were very good. But then The Decemberists came out and I was just sitting there in awe. I love this band. I love how literary they are and wordy. I love how he fabricates timeless tales about soldiers, sailors and prostitutes. I love that there was a compulsory dance contest int he ailes. I loved that they acted out many of thier songs the best being The Mariners Revenge song. These guys are modern day bards. Spinning epic storylines that really pull you in. I have to see these guys more. Alot more.

1 comment:

Natalie Jane said...

Concerts are fun. I havent been to a lot lately, but I enjoy them. I wonder what my top 5 are. .. . im glad i was in one of your top 5's. thats exciting. :) ha.
hmmmm probably one for me woudl be le tigre. id have to think about it. . .